Humor can be a great stress releaser. It can improve your health and your enjoyment of life. Playfulness helps you stay feeling younger. Improving your sense of humor will make it less likely that you will overreact to each other. A healthy sense of humor may help keep you from getting offended easily over little things. Sharing humor in your relationship will not only help you connect as a couple, but also make your time together more pleasurable. Take the challenge to increase your sense of humor by completing one item from the list below each day for the next 20 days.
Some ideas for adding humor to your relationship:
1. Reminisce about funny memories; make sure that you are not laughing at each other. Unless you are both laughing, it is not funny.
2. Focus on what is great about your life. Spend a few moments each day appreciating what was great about the day. Express your gratitude to each other.
3. Share ‘the funniest thing that happened today’ stories.
4. Do not take yourself too seriously; be willing to find the humor in your mistakes. A healthy sense of humor can help dissipate the sense of shame that sometimes accompanies being less than perfect.
5. Laugh daily. Even if to start with you simply have to choose to pretend to laugh, find ways to laugh every day.
6. Bring humor into your life. Watch a funny movie, spend time with friends who love to laugh, look for humor in unexpected places.
7. Enjoy playing with your pet. Pets have a way of getting you to relax and laugh at their antics. If you do not have a pet, youtube has a great collection of funny pet videos.
8. Spend time playing with children. Children tend to laugh spontaneously and spending time playing with a child may be just what you need to get you smiling and laughing along with them.
9. Find the humor in difficult situations. Often years later you can see the humor, the challenge is to look for the humor sooner.
10. Smile. Smile at each other. Smile at others and watch most of them smile back at you.
Improving your sense of humor in your relationship will help you as a couple to feel closer to each other, be more creative in solving problems and increase your enjoyment of not only your time together, but will most likely have spill-over effects in all areas of your life.