Maturity is probably the most fundamental factor in determining if relationships last. Many of the items listed below require discipline and maturity. Choosing to grow up together is a great way to make your relationship last.
1. Choose to accept compliments and loving gestures from your partner.
2. Make spending time with your partner a top priority.
3. Continue creating happy memories and enjoy reminiscing together.
4. Enjoy social outings together; find something you both enjoy or take turns enjoying each others functions.
5. Forgive your partner and yourself for past hurts.
6. Make time for intimacy in your life.
7. Guard against thinking or doing things you would not want your partner to know about.
8. Enjoy time apart and look forward to time together.
9. Think and speak well of your partner; when talking to others share positive opinions and experiences involving your partner.
10. Plan and enjoy a weekly date and an annual or biannual couple get aways.
11. Talk and share your thoughts, feeling, fears, dreams and hopes with each other.
12. Find out what feels loving to your partner and show your love to them in ways that feel loving to them.
13. Listen to your partner and allow them to influence you.
14. Move toward each other rather than finding ways to avoid spending time together.
15. Be healthy and take care of your appearance.
16. Plan your finances and make important financial decisions together.
17. Refuse to compare your partner to others, especially in a negative way.
18. Look at your partner in loving ways and express gratitude to and for them.
19. Fantasize about your partner.
20. If you have addictions find help to rid yourself of them – whether it is food, substances, sex, gambling or whatever; addictions numb your feelings and cause havoc with relationships.
Make your relationship last. Lasting relationships require commitments and effort. But a lasting relationship makes life so much more rewarding. When you strengthen your relationship, you also strengthen yourself. It is the little things done consistently make a huge difference in whether your relationship lasts or fails. Choose to do those things that build rather than erode your relationship.